Date: October 21, 2021
An SUV is a type of vehicle that combines the space and amenities of larger cars with the ruggedness, off-road capability, and elevated driving position of a four-wheel-drive vehicle and is a great choice for a family vehicle.
However, if you're uncertain about whether a used SUV makes sense for your family and your lifestyle, here's a breakdown of some pros and cons:
1. The Practicality – Many SUVs offer seating for at least five passengers and plenty of cargo space; however, SUVs can be large and difficult to park or navigate through traffic. Cargo space varies depending on manufacturer and model so it's worth checking specific models you're considering for cargo space, and also how much room is behind the third row of seats.
2. The Fuel – Fuel efficiency varies greatly among SUVs: Some get 10 or more miles per gallon than others. A large SUV generally won't do as well as a smaller, lighter car; but some large SUVs can actually outperform some mid-size cars in terms of fuel economy (though not by much). A few high-end luxury brands offer hybrid versions, like the Cadillac Escalade Hybrid that gets 22 MPG city/19 highway. Another alternative to paying higher fuel prices is purchasing extended coverage on your auto insurance policy; many companies offer low rates if you meet certain criteria based on mileage and driver history.
3. The Driving – SUVs are only as good as their driver, no matter how much horsepower or torque your engine puts out. With a lower center of gravity and higher seating position, if you drive an SUV recklessly, you'll be putting those inside the vehicle at greater risk for injury in a crash.
In addition to all this, there are also other important considerations that may not affect everyone but should nonetheless be considered:
1. Insurance – There is a wide range of insurance costs based on factors such as car type, mileage and driving habits. Keep in mind that any modifications done to your car will also increase your rates; it may be worth staying stock so you can save money on auto insurance premiums. In some cases though, it may be worth it to you to pay more for modifications or an exotic car if you are a car enthusiast.
2. Resale Value – The resale of your vehicle also follows what is referred to as "the golden rule." Whatever people will pay for the vehicle is what they'll expect it to sell for, with little room for negotiation. It is always best to do some research on each make and model that you're interested in purchasing; this way, you can know before making your purchase whether the SUV is likely to depreciate (rather than appreciate) significantly upon purchase. This way, if circumstances change and you need to resell the vehicle quickly, there will be someone who still wants it enough that they'll offer at least what you paid.
3. Driving – Again, an SUV isn't for everyone; it's important to make sure that the person driving one knows how to drive it well, with consideration given towards speed and road conditions as well as parking abilities. Additionally, if you happen to live in a place with harsh winter weather, it's important to keep in mind that SUVs are not always great in the snow; while they may be able to handle some conditions, there might be times when the risk outweighs the need for an SUV.
Even with all these potential drawbacks, SUVs still have a lot of positives that go beyond just looks and comfort. For many people who are looking for more space on-the-go, driving through rough terrain or simply looking to capitalize on their resale value, buying an SUV can provide many benefits. However, it is important to take into account everything mentioned above before deciding which type of vehicle will work best for your needs.
So if you are looking for a great SUV under $15,000, visit the Binghamton Auto Exchange at 209 Vestal Parkway West in Vestal NY or call 607-754-9118.
209 Vestal Parkway West
Vestal, NY 13850
Sales: (607) 754-9118
Monday: 9:00am to 5:00pm
Tuesday: 9:00am to 5:00pm
Wednesday: 9:00am to 5:00pm
Thursday: 9:00am to 5:00pm
Friday: 9:00am to 5:00pm
Saturday: 1:00pm to 4:00pm
After Hours Available by Appointment